Nothing is more important in our national life than the welfare of our children.
Harry S. Truman
SHERIDAN SCHOOL DISTRICT COUNSELORS BELIEVE:
- That all people deserve to be treated with respect and dignity regardless of culture, language, gender, economic status, or individual differences.
- All students have a right to a quality education that allows them to progress to their fullest potential and prepares them for their futures.
- All students are capable of learning when we meet them where they are and provide an environment conducive to their learning process.
- All individuals have strengths they can draw on to be successful in school and life. Regardless of past experiences, all individuals are capable of change.
- All individuals require positive caring relationships and belonging to reach their full potential as individuals and learners.
- That behavior is communication and makes sense with in that individuals experience and perceptions.
- That achievement gaps can be eliminated using a district wide comprehensive school counseling plan.
- That families are an integral part of our school community and our children reach their fullest potential with support of the entire community.
- That our role as student advocates puts us in a position to uniquely support all stakeholders in our students lives as we work together to support students.
- Sheridan students will have careers that provide a sense of purpose and fulfilment. Students will be engaged community citizens who are respectful and inclusive regardless of individual differences. Students will have meaningful relationships, supporting the community and future generations.
- The mission of the Sheridan Comprehensive School Counseling Program is to provide developmental and systematic support to each and every student to ensure the academic, career, and social/emotional development, as well as provide opportunities for community service. Comprehensive School Counseling Programs (CSCPs) are proactive and preventative. CSCPs enhance learning by assisting students to acquire critical skills for lifelong learning and success. CSCPs embrace professional standards and models for best practice in the field.
- Comprehensive school counseling programs provide an array of interventions and supports for students. These are delivered collaboratively with school stakeholders, families, and members of the community to provide seamless transitions to each student’s next steps. The goal is that each student will leave the kindergarten through twelfth grade system with the skills and knowledge to live, learn, work, and contribute to both local and global communities.
- The mission of the Sheridan School District Comprehensive School Counseling Program is adapted from the Oregon Framework Comprehensive School Counseling Programs Mission Statement.